Tuesday 11 October 2011

Kangaroos, Koalas, and Compassion.

Hello Everyone!

I'm safe and sound, and completely loving my time here in Australia!! Yes, the weather is warmish, and getting warmer by the day.

At first, I was a little hesitant about a few things, but they all looked heaps brighter after I had the chance to eat, sleep, and get to know a few people.

Life here at Lewis House in Newcastle is super busy, and so time is already flying by. I can hardly believe that I have been here for just over a week, but at the same time i feel like I have been here forever.The people here are so genuine and so kind that they almost instantly felt like family. My roommates are three super sweet girls that I'm getting along with great. We share a teeny little bedroom with two bunks, but it isn't as difficult as it might sound. Our regular days are filled with a variety of things that are all focused in their own way on serving one another, and serving God. I get up at about 6, have my first cup of tea for the day, and have my quiet time in the pretty sunny dining room. At first, I really struggled to settle into it, but I'm growing to treasure this half hour in which I really just start my day off right. At 8 o'clock, we have Tidy Time when everyone on base has a job that contributes to keeping the house clean. Then we have our lectures, which are all around so interesting. We have heard from some great speakers already, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the weeks' topics like crazy! This week is "Father Heart of God" week, but I'll post more on that soon. Our evenings vary from free time to more lectures to little outreaches.

My DTS is doing a few local outreaches during our lecture phase. Today, we went on a prayer walk near a brothel in Mayfield (the suburb we live in), praying for the women who work there, and just praying for the situation of brothels as a whole. (FYI Prostitution is completely legal in Australia, and while the law states that women must be 18 to work in the sex trade, a blind eye is turned on the younger women who get involved with it.) We are also spending some of our evenings working in a local soup kitchen and hanging out with elderly people in the home across the street.

Finally, this past weekend was Base Retreat, and everyone from YWAM Newcastle went camping at a beautiful place called Rosewood. It was.... LEGENDARY. I have never felt so dirty as I did by the time we got back, but we all got so close in just one weekend, and I wouldn't have traded it for the world.

I am beginning to see God move in ways that I NEVER THOUGHT POSSIBLE. I am realizing that I am in the business of changing lives, and I am loving it. He is so good, and so in love with His World and His Children and with Me.

I love you all, and I miss you so much.
For you Canadians, Happy Thanksgiving!

Natty

No comments:

Post a Comment